Saturday, December 13, 2014

Linden Endowment for the Arts in Second Life


My love of fine art increased - the more of it I saw, the more of it I wanted to see.

J. Paul Getty
 

 

          Recently, an old friend of mine in Second Life, Hitomi Tamatzui, contacted me with a recommendation for a story.

          Hitomi’s an artist and photographer inworld with an impressive portfolio of work to her name.  She’s introduced me to other artists and their work in SL.  I’ve learned to listen to her recommendations.

          This time she suggested that I take a look at the Linden Endowment for the Arts
(LEA) inworld.  She said that I’d find some impressive artwork to report back my readers.

          So, not needing to be told twice about a good thing, I made plans to visit LEA and see what’s going on.  (Significant Other does shudder whenever I talk about the fine arts.  For some reason, the word “Philistine” keeps coming up. Whatever!)

          Before heading off, I do some research on LEA and its efforts inworld.

          LEA is supported by Linden Lab and provides a parcel or a full sim to an artist for up to three months for free to display their work.  The exhibits are not limited to the visual arts but can also include the performing arts, music, and film. 

          The only requirements are that the exhibits meet the SL Terms of Service (TOS) and be open to the public.

          There is an LEA committee composed of SL artists who make the selections.  An appeals process is also available for those who feel that they’ve been unfairly excluded.

          Details about the application process can be found here. 

         
I arrive at the LEA landing zone and am reminded of earlier Real Life (RL) visits to the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) in NYC.  (Who’s a Philistine?) 

          Except there is one major difference.

          Instead of the physical constraints imposed by one RL building, no matter how large, where the laws of physics hold sway, here in SL, imagination and creativity can run wild.

          Standing in an open area, I’m greeted by artworks of every description.  Some rest on the ground.  Others are suspended in midair. 

          In the distance, I see examples of architecture which appear to have come from the mind of a frenzied Frank Lloyd Wright.  

          All this is superimposed on fields, streams, and mountains.  Nature and manmade objects have been brought together in one large exhibit.

          A short distance from where I stand is a portal which is comprised of about two dozen gates arranged in a circle which go to the various exhibits currently open at LEA. 

          Time constraints (Significant Other has always been generous in allowing to go exploring inworld but does have worries about my getting lost there.) don’t permit me to visit all this time.  However, I do note the diversity of the exhibits.

          But, I do visit one specifically mentioned by Hitomi

          This one is the MASH sim. 


          Yes, that MASH, the long running American television sitcom has been recreated in great detail at LEA.  Even the helicopter is there although I’m still trying to figure out how to fly it.

          (Yes, I know why is this in an art exhibit?  All I can is, “Why not?”  It’s a very impressive piece of craftsmanship and for that reason along deserves a place here in my opinion.) 

          If pop culture can be made famous, or is it infamous, by Andy Warhol then why not by LEA?

          RL required that I leave LEA after a short visit but I’ll return in the future for new stories.  There is much to see and exhibits change regularly.

          The LEA blog maintains a calendar of all events. 

          There is also a sandbox for artists to create inworld.

         
For all who are interested in the arts or who are only curious from a technical build perspective, I recommend a visit to LEA especially the MASH exhibit!

          Like me, I think that you’ll return. 

          I’m also impressed by Linden Lab’s support of the arts at LEA.

          I’ve been critical of Linden many times in the past but here they’re making an invaluable contribution to the SL community. 

          I’d like to thank Hitomi for making the recommendation that I go visit LEA and blog about it.  She’s a good friend whose judgment I can always count on!         

As always, I’m grateful to all inworld for their kindness and time in stopping to talk with a stranger who was passing through their lives.         

My Twitter handle is @webspelunker.  Please feel free to follow me and I’d be happy to follow you.

I can be found on Google+ as webspelunker Ghostraven.

My flickr Photostream is located here.

On Skype I’m webspelunker Ghostraven.

I welcome feedback from readers, please either comment on my blog or e-mail me at webspelunker@gmail.com . 

          If you would like to read about my other adventures in Second Life
please click here.

          Open roads and kind fires!

No comments: