Saturday, April 29, 2017

How Long Have You Been in Second Life?




Time changes everything except something within us which is always surprised by change.

Thomas Hardy



My recent scribblings about my sixth year of blogging about Second Life (SL) have got me thinking about how long I’ve been inworld. 

In total, I’ve spent seven years in SL.  (Took me a while to figure out how to get out of the new arrivals center.  Significant Other mutters something about, “Just like in Real Life (RL)”) During this time, I’ve met a lot of people and been to a lot of places. 

I think this is a respectable length of time.  (Much of it under the watchful eye of Significant Other who does enjoy shoulder surfing during my various misadventures.) When
I prepare my annual look backs in SL, I always feel like I’ve accomplished something.  (Which also includes not getting ejected!) 

As my three loyal readers can attest, this type of soul searching about my time inworld leads me to bigger thoughts.  (This is usually when Significant Other stops shoulder searching and leaves the room.)

My Big Thought this time is how long have others been in SL?

Yes, numbers are reduced regularly by simple disappearances, death in RL, or someone simply coming back as another avatar.  (I’ll ignore Significant Other’s suggestion that they’re simply avoiding me.)

But, despite this turnover, there seems to be a hardcore of SL residents who have been around for quite some time. 

Some have been here from the very beginning, others sometime afterwards, while others just disappeared after attending SL’s tenth anniversary festivities a while back. 

Always, there’s the changing of the guard.

So, yes, there is a cadre of long term residents inworld.  They are individuals or groups either way staying to themselves. 

There doesn’t seem to be any effort to have a group consciousness to try and
influence policies and conditions inworld.  Once upon a time, there may have some such efforts but mainly they’re lost in the mists of time now. 

(Unless of course, Significant Other is correct and there are such groups and they’re simply avoiding me.  Significant Other brightens at this prospect.)

How long have you been in SL?

I’d love to meet you and hear your stories especially those that seem to be lost in the mists! 

So, no matter how long you’ve been inworld, from the very beginning, somewhat later, a recent arrival, or someone who just pops in and out as the urge hits you, please
reach out to me!

Let’s meet, share our experiences, and maybe I’ll get some new stories for my three loyal readers out of this!

Look forward to hearing from you! 

As always, I’m grateful to all inworld for their kindness and time in stopping to talk with a stranger who was passing through their lives. 

My Twitter handle is @webspelunker.  Please feel free to follow me and I’d be happy to follow you.

I can be found on Google+ as webspelunker Ghostraven.

My flickr Photostream is located here.

On Skype I’m webspelunker Ghostraven.

I welcome feedback from readers, please either comment on my blog or e-mail me at webspelunker@gmail.com . 

            If you would like to read about my other adventures in Second Life
 please click here.

            Open roads and kind fires!



No comments: