Saturday, January 5, 2013

A Visit with an Artist and His Art Gallery in Second Life – Part I


 It has been said that art is a tryst, for in the joy of it maker and beholder meet.

Kojiro Tomita
 

In an earlier story, I wrote about a Second Life (SL) amateur photographer and friend of mine, Hitomi Tamatzui, and her gallery, Seductions by Hitomi. 
          Hitomi told me about her inworld partner, Anima.  They are “very, very good” friends as she puts it and share a passion for similar subjects.  Anima is also her mentor in photography and has helped her to develop (Hitomi intends no pun.) her photographic and artistic abilities.  Anima resides in Germany and has quite a history in photography but is not a professional.  Besides being a photographer, he is a painter and video creator inworld.  Hitomi describes his work as brilliant. 
          Hitomi and Anima maintain a gallery not far from Seductions by Hitomi where they exhibit both of their works.  Anima also has an eight story art museum, Doors Gallery, where he exhibits many of his pieces in addition to some of Anima’s work. 
          I had visited both locations and am very impressed with the breadth and scope of Anima’s work.  Unlike Hitomi who stays focused on nature and nudes, he has a variety of subjects and mediums.  Anima’s work includes eight floors of paintings, photographs, and videos.  Most of which had originally been created in Real Life (RL) before being transported to SL.  This is in contrast with Hitomi whose works are sourced from both. 
          Anima believes that SL and RL are not separable but important differences exist between them.  I feel his work is his attempt to call attention to these differences.  He has been inworld since 2007 and views his current avatar not as an alt but as a reincarnation, a consequence, or a metamorphosis. 
          When I last wrote about Anima and Hitomi, I indicated that I hoped to have an interview with Anima and to be able to show some of his work in this blog.  Thanks to Hitomi, I was able to arrange a meeting with both of them and received a personal tour of Doors. 
          Between meeting with Anima and looking at his work, I have a lot of material.  So, in order not to overwhelm my readers and to do full justice to Anima and his work, I’m breaking this story into two parts.  The first, this one, will give Anima’s background and talk about his approach to his work.  The second, scheduled to be posted one week after the first, will be about his work at Doors and will be based on a tour as the gallery is as much a part of his work as are the individual works of art. 
          Hitomi and I meet Anima in front of Doors for our interview.  He’s dressed in a bohemian fashion (which is even easier to do in SL than RL) which I suspect is an occupational hazard of being an artist.  After exchanging greetings and figuring out how to exchange handshakes in SL (Hitomi cheats, she just hugs everybody.)  we begin our interview. 
          When I say that I’m impressed with his work, Anima replies that is the effect he is looking for, that someone is touched by what he intended.  He views his work as a connection of mind by art.  Anima suffers when he creates art and doesn’t get a reaction from an audience.  He doesn’t want to sound narcisstic but indicates that the audience reaction is the only way to bring life into art. 
          Anima turns the tables on me by asking me whether I find answers or questions in the pictures in the gallery.  He says he asks me because he loves to get questions from art, not finished concepts but openings to one’s own thoughts and feelings. 
          For Anima, art is a connection to the audience. 
          Hitomi adds that Anima has not only created his artwork but built the museum housing them as well.  The artistic themes are complemented by the exhibit design.  Anima explains that this was the matching of shape and content. 
          This is where the three of us enter the gallery and begin to review Anima’s artwork.  This is where I’ll pick up in the next story.  Stay tuned!
          In the interim, I encourage everyone who has the time to drop by Seductions by Hitomi and the Doors Gallery to view her and Anima’s work.  Also, please patronize these artists if you’re in the market for pieces for your inworld home.  Supporting SL artists and merchants helps all of us. 
          I’ve included a few pictures of Anima and Hitomi along with a few shots of the gallery itself to serve as a teaser for the next part! 
          I would like to thank Hitomi again for arranging our meeting for Anima and to Anima for making himself available for our interview.
As always, I’m grateful to all for their kindness and time in stopping to talk with a stranger who was passing through their lives.
I welcome feedback from readers, please either comment on my blog or e-mail me at webspelunker@gmail.com . 

     If you would like to read about my other adventures in Second Life
please click here.

Photo No. 1 Anima

Photo No. 2 Hitomi Tamatzui (with permission of Hitomi Tatmatzui)

Photo No. 3 Anima and Hitomi (with permission of Anima)


Photo No. 5 Exhibits Brochure

Photo No. 6 Short Film Poster




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) I still find flying/teleporting easier than walking. I wonder how I will easily be able to navigate the art galleries.
2) I tried finding you in SL, but Search for webspelunker did not work.

Anima (KA) said...

I don't know if I get you right, but if you mean the Doors-Museum: you cannot fly inside of the Museum ... you need to walk or use the internal teleporting system, which teleports you to every floor inside the building. You can also not fly at the complete Hotel Chelsea area and have to walk to navigate the art galleries there.

webspelunker said...

I'll include instructions for navigating Doors in Part II.

In SL, my full name is webspelunker Ghostraven.

Thanks for reading!

TC

web