Saturday, January 12, 2013

A Visit with an Artist and His Art Gallery in Second Life – Part II


A picture is worth a thousand words.

Unknown 

In this story, I continue my visit with the Second Life (SL) artist, Anima, and his inworld partner, Hitomi Tamatzui, at Anima’s inworld art gallery, Doors Gallery. In my prior story  I interviewed Anima and we talked about his views on art and the interaction between the artist and his audience.
Now, I’ll walk through the eight floors of Doors and share the experience with my readers.  I’ve had to think long and hard about this story because I’m not an art critic.  I’m probably like most people in that I know art when I see it and I like it. 
            I like Anima’s work.  Full disclosure, I’m impressed by its variety, quality, and sheer numbers of works.  Words cannot adequately describe his portfolio.  (At least not the way I write.) 

So, I’m going to walk through the gallery and highlight what I see.  I’m not an art expert or historian which would make any comments on my part trivial compared to the work on display.  I do this tour to encourage and aid my readers to go see this unique SL resource for themselves. 
Most of Anima’s works have originally been created in Real Life (RL) before being transported to SL.  This is in contrast with Hitomi whose works are sourced from both. 
I begin at the lobby of the first floor of Doors.  The gallery can be visited either by walking through the exhibits floor by floor (my preferred way) or by using the teleporter (a blue sphere located at the entrance to every floor) to go directly to a specific floor. 
A central core of ramps is in the gallery which leads visitors from one floor to another.  Each floor overlooks the courtyard in front of the building where a beautiful cherry blossom tree stands.  Music plays in the background giving a certain haunting effect.
The first floor contains primarily photographs including stills from Anima’s films and sculptures.  A large white piano sits in a field of flowers against the rear wall.  (Have to ask Anima if he plays.) 
A ramp leads me to the second floor which seems to contain mostly abstract paintings. 
Moving onto the third floor, I encounter more traditional art based on photographs of cathedrals.  A large rose stained glass window dominates one end of the floor.  The contrast of the medieval architecture with modern sculptures provides a stunning visual contrast. 
The fourth floor takes a completely different turn as I’m greeted by a field of flowers with butterflies fluttering about.  A large moon looks down on the scene through the window which is at the top of the ramp on every floor.  Doors always appears in evening light and with its dark walls and self-illuminating artworks an effect is given which no RL art gallery could hope to replicate.  Photographs of RL flowers and birds add to the natural effect of this floor.
As I enter the fifth floor I’m greeted by another illusion that would be difficult in RL, mist rising from the floor.  With the photographs of the sea shore hanging on the walls, I feel like I’m on a beach somewhere in RL.  Elsewhere on the floor, RL images of buildings, monuments and the sky are exhibited. 
The sixth floor contains more abstracts and photographs with some of Anima’s edgier works.  A RL photo of a window adds a dimension of realistic space and distance which SL scripters would be advised to study and learn from. 
As I walk up to the seventh floor a luminescent light shines from it.  Anima is very good at incorporating the gallery itself into an artwork and using it to highlight his works.  This floor also contains Hitomi’s favorite photograph from Anima’s collection.  (I’m not going to say which it is.  Go and look for yourself and see if you can identify it!)  This floor has many RL nature photographs and is well worth spending time on. 
I arrive at the eighth floor which contains the theater and Hitomi’s corner where some of her collection is on display. 
With that I have gone through all eight floors of Doors Gallery. 
I had the good fortune to tour the gallery with Anima and Hitomi for my interview.  Being able to speak with him about his motivations for particular works and the sources of his inspiration was a stroke of good fortune for me. 
Anima’s works reflect a certain dualism such as life and death many times.  Lightness and darkness are contrasted in his works as well as the gallery itself.  His influence on Hitomi’s work can be seen. 
One of Anima’s favorite themes is Japan in particular its nature and its art.  (I wonder what came first, Hitomi or Anima’s interest in Japan.  Sorry, I digress.)  Other sources for his inspirations are early twentieth century Art Nouveau, Klimt, and Schiele.  His works leave a question as to what is occurring and what is the story.  In one of my favorites, a drawing of a woman, the question is whether or not she’s dressing or undressing and why.  Again, Anima’s work has that duality, a ying and yang. 
I strongly recommend that everyone with an interest in the arts and who can should visit Doors as well Anima’s and Hitmoi’s other gallery near Hitomi’s gallery, Seductions by Hitomi.  Visits to these are time well spent.    
          Also, please patronize these artists if you’re in the market for pieces for your inworld home.  Supporting SL artists and merchants helps all of us. 
          I’ve included pictures of Anima and Hitomi along with a several shots of Anima’s work.  But please go and see them for yourself because my work does not do them justice.  (Despite Hitomi’s best efforts.)    All photographs of artworks are with Anima’s permission. 
          I would again like to thank Hitomi again for arranging our meeting for Anima and to Anima for making himself available for our interview.
As always, I’m grateful to all for their kindness and time in stopping to talk with a stranger who was passing through their lives.
I welcome feedback from readers, please either comment on my blog or e-mail me at webspelunker@gmail.com . 

     If you would like to read about my other adventures in Second Life
please click here.

Photo No. 1 Anima

Photo No. 2 Hitomi Tamatzui (with permission of Hitomi Tatmatzui)

Photo No. 3 Anima and Hitomi (with permission of Anima)


Photo No. 5 Exhibits Brochure


Photo No. 7 First Floor Gallery








Photo No. 15 Second Floor Gallery



Photo No. 18 Third Floor Gallery


Photo No. 20 Fourth Floor Lobby



Photo No. 23 Fifth Floor Lobby





Photo No. 28 Seventh Floor Lobby





2 comments:

Anima (KA) said...

Thank you for that wonderful Blog entry about Hitomis and my art and the Museum and the appreciation of our work. It was fun wandering through the Museum with you, talking and reflecting intentions, needs and meanings thereby. It's a pleasure to be acquainted with you. Hugs, Anima.


Btw:

- I do not play piano (I played drums, guitar and bass-guitar earlier) but I love piano-music and its sounding in general (classical music by Beethoven, Chopin, Schumann, Liszt but also modern tunes).

- My interest for Japan and its art and culture is very old (I am influenced and inspired by the technics of japanese paintings/drawings/woodcuts which influenced Art Nouveau and by the movies of Kurosawa, Kitano, Miike, Tsukamoto - to name my favorites). I love the contraries of japanese culture, the balancing act inbetween the antagonisms of the modern world and traditions.
So it was a coincidence (in the ambiguous meaning of this word) that Hitomi stepped into my life.

webspelunker said...

Anima,

Thanks again for your generous hospitality and time!

Also, thank you for the additional answers!

Hope to see both you and Hitimi soon!

TC

web