Saturday, May 30, 2015

Castles in Second Life II – Devilhand Castle


 
This tower, patched unevenly with black ivy, arose like a mutilated finger from among the fists of knuckled masonry and pointed blasphemously at heaven. At night the owls made of it an echoing throat; by day it stood voiceless and cast its long shadow.

Mervyn Peake, “Titus Groan”

 

 

          Welcome back to the second story in my blog series, The Castles of Second Life!

          In this series I visit the various castles located about in Second Life (SL).

          I will cover the large, the small, the magnificent, and the ruins.  (Significant Other wants to know if I could possibly write without hyperbole.  I could but then what fun would that be?)

          Castles have been a fixation of mine since childhood in Real Life (RL). 

          There’s just something about remote, forbidding, and spooky places that attracts me.  (I’ll ignore Significant Other’s comment about being drawn to kindred spirits.)

          My selection is Devilhand Castle run by my two friends, Amaterasu (“Ama”)
Silvercloud and Steve . 

          I first visited Devilhand and met Ama and Steve when I blogged about their BDSM community based in the castle a while back. 

          This time I want to focus on Devilhand Castle itself especially since my visit, Steve appears to have been on a massive rebuilding project!

          One can approach Devilhand Castle by rezzing into the Village of Mist, a fifteenth century European style village located at the castle’s base. 

          (One can also find my office here as I’m the village scribe.  But, I digress!) 

          Devilhand Castle, itself sits on a small mountaintop and looms forbiddingly over the village.  (Think of the original movie Frankenstein!)    

          The castle is big, really big and surrounded on all sides by mountains and the sea.  (So easy to add these elements inworld isn’t it?)

          One gains entrance to Devilhand by passing through the gatehouse at the edge of the village.

         
The gatehouse is three stories in height and has a battlement topside.  The curtain wall extends away from both sides of the gatehouse. 

          A portcullis can keep unwanted visitors like invaders and in-laws out if needed. 

          Once through the gatehouse, a long flight of steps up the mountainside awaits the visitor.

          At the top of the steps is the main gate into the castle proper.

          Entering here one is in the main courtyard.

          Here can be found the slave auction area (Remember this is a BDSM sim!), training areas for jousting and archery, and the castle’s pet dragon is kept here as well.  (What? This is SL, anything is possible!)

          Entrance to the castle proper can be gained from the main entry which fronts onto the courtyard and leaves one in the Great Hall.

          Inside, Devilhand Castle is enormous.

          On the ground floor can be found the library and one of two grand ballrooms.  (There may be more I just haven’t found them yet.)

          A prison is also located on the lower floor with cells and restraining devices for guests
who have run afoul of Steve and Ama.  Apparently, scrubbing the floors is available to work off time on prison sentences.

          Upper floors contain the dungeon with a diverse collection of BDSM furniture making it look more like a local gym.  The other grand ballroom is located upstairs as well.

          Other rooms are offices, guest rooms, class rooms, and who knows what else for!

          I haven’t been able to count all the rooms at Devilhand yet and I’m not sure anyone will ever be able to.  (Steve’s continual “tweeks” may not help here.)

          Devilhand Castle is a large site even by SL standards.

          I know I haven’t done justice to all that lies within its nooks and crannies.

          I strongly recommend to anyone with a love of castles like mine to drop by and visit. 

You’ll be glad you did! 

Devilhand Castle can be found here in SL. 

Just remember that Devilhand Castle is an adult rated sim with a BDSM theme so don’t go expecting Walt Disney!

Devilhand is a great, old, and scary castle meant to give everyone a fun experience! 

          I’d like to thank Steve and Ama for their efforts in building and maintaining Devilhand Castle.

          I’d also like to thank kenna, manager of Devilhand Castle, for her time and patience in showing me around the premises.  (Not to mention answering all my dumb questions!)

           More pictures from my visit can be found here!
 
As always, I’m grateful to all inworld for their kindness and time in stopping to talk with a stranger who was passing through their lives

My Twitter handle is @webspelunker.  Please feel free to follow me and I’d be happy to follow you.

I can be found on Google+ as webspelunker Ghostraven.

My flickr Photostream is located here.

On Skype I’m webspelunker Ghostraven.

I welcome feedback from readers, please either comment on my blog or e-mail me at webspelunker@gmail.com . 

          If you would like to read about my other adventures in Second Life
please click here.
          Open roads and kind fires!

1 comment:

Han Held said...

Hello

The Confederation of Democratic Simulators has one of my favorite castles in the Neufreistadt region, I'd encourage you and your readers to hop over and take a look at it. :)