Saturday, June 6, 2015

Back on the Silk Road in Second Life


 
We had the kind of conversations that only great friends can ever share. They were touched with magic.

Tahir Shah

 
 
          Time has crept up on me for it’s time again for one of the great annual events in Second Life (SL)!

          And, that would be Silk Road Hunt VI: The Roman Empire! 


          Once again, this is being brought to us by Perryn Peterson, the Mayor Mieville, and his merry band! 

          As the title implies, this year’s theme is the Roman Empire.  (Significant Other says that I’ve always been quick on the uptake!)    

          Many forget that while the Real Life (RL) Silk Road in ancient times started in China and went through to the Middle East that its ultimate destination was Rome, capital of the Roman Empire. 

          Given how the theme of last year’s Silk Road Hunt had been Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, Ancient Rome seems to be a fitting follow on for this year. 

          As usual, the Hunt has dozens of merchants on hand with fabulous gifts based on the Hunt’s theme for the bold and daring hunters who pursue these across the Grid.

          A list of the participating merchants can be found here and the gifts can be viewed here.

          As they did last year, the merchant Mountain Rose will have their own mini-hunt
which starts here. 

          However, (There’s always a catch isn’t there?) you have to find the entrance to the mini-hunt because it’s hidden!

          No, I can’t tell you where it is because that wouldn’t be fair and besides if I can find it anyone can! (Significant Other, while disagreeing in what is regarded as anti-social behavior on my part, does agree with me that if I can do it then anything past a vegetative state should be able to as well.)

          But, I’ll say this much, looking for the Mountain Rose mini-hunt is well worth the trouble especially for those who want a glimpse of Cleopatra’s world at the time of the Roman Empire. 

          (The floor mosaics alone are worth the trip!  Just watch out for the crocodile please.) 

          Inworld, the Silk Road Hunt begins as it did last year at the Asian Victorian Garden in Mieville.   (Before going into the pavilion and starting the Hunt, take some time to stroll the beautiful gardens created by Mike Olbracht, Mieville’s floral wunderkind.  His garden layouts have to be seen to be believed!)

          Perryn’s purpose with hunts like the Silk Road Hunt is to showcase the merchants of SL and their wares, to help residents (hunters) meet merchants, and to get out onto the Grid and have fun! 

          Silk Road Hunt VI: The Roman Empire runs from June 1st to 30th and the start can be found here. 

          Hunter information is available here. 

          I heartily recommend all dropping by and having some fun!

          Who knows?

         
You might set the record for completing the Hunt!

          I’d like to thank Perryn for his time and assistance in helping me to prepare this story, not to mention, his choreographing another spectacular event inworld!

          Additional pictures of the Hunt can be found here. 

As always, I’m grateful to all inworld for their kindness and time in stopping to talk with a stranger who was passing through their lives

My Twitter handle is @webspelunker.  Please feel free to follow me and I’d be happy to follow you.

I can be found on Google+ as webspelunker Ghostraven.

My flickr Photostream is located here.

On Skype I’m webspelunker Ghostraven.

I welcome feedback from readers, please either comment on my blog or e-mail me at webspelunker@gmail.com . 

          If you would like to read about my other adventures in Second Life
please click here.

          Open roads and kind fires!

No comments: