Saturday, April 27, 2013

Another Art Exhibit in Second Life


Works of art often last forever, or nearly so. But exhibitions themselves, especially gallery exhibitions, are like flowers; they bloom and then they die, then exist only as memories, or pressed in magazines and books.


Jerry Saltz

 
          Morgana Nagorski, my Second Life (SL) friend and an inworld artist and gallerist, is at it again.  Fresh off her successful exhibition dedicated to the lyrics of Leonard Cohen, she has launched another exhibition entitled Aspects of Solitude where the works of two SL artists, Amona Savira and Harbor Galaxy, are on view. 
          Aspects of Solitude opened on Saturday, April 20, 2013 in the Palais Orleans Gallery Complex.  Morgana was there along with the two artists and the guests.  I arrived as the opening started.  (Hey, I don’t want to miss the food and drink, I’m a struggling, starving writer after all.)
          Other guests came and went as the night progressed.  As always, I’m as much fascinated by the guests as I am the art hanging on the walls.  Clothing styles range from formal to casual grunge (more my style).  One guest looked like she was auditioning for a role as a Borg in a Star Trek episode. 
           The mood is light and jovial.  The conversation is friendly banter.  The exchanges of friends about how they’re doing and how much they’re enjoying the show.  During the time I’m there several dozen people come and go.  A good turnout for an art exhibition opening. 
          Despite guests coming and going, Amona and Harbor make time to speak with me.  Both have extensive portfolios of SL works available.  Amona’s works can be seen on Pinterest and Flickr.  Harbor presents her work on Koinup. 
          Harbor explained to me how she viewed this exhibition as a collaboration not only between herself and Amona but the entire SL community.  Their joint statement about the show sums up their thoughts behind the show, “The images are about all the lonely nights, waiting for nobody . . . in solitude.  And those early morning hours when sleep escapes us and the mind wanders, reviewing the decisions that define our waking life.”  
          The gallery itself is a large two story building with the main entrance in the front. The artwork hangs on the walls on the walls in two rows from floor to ceiling.  A staircase goes to a walkway which permits visitors to view the art hanging in the top row.   
          Morgana has done her usual exemplary job as the curator of this exhibit.  Her use of the written word with the visual image is appealing and unusual for a SL exhibition.  A visitor to the show has a total experience which draws on the strengths of SL. 
          The pictures themselves catch my eye as I view them.  I must warn everyone that I’m not an art critic.  (Significant Other says it’s a good thing because I’d be in even more trouble than I am as a writer.)  Several pieces I noticed in particular are Amona’s Solitude and Fear of Flying and Harbor’s Loss of Balance and Reflection on Water.  (And, no, it’s not because I’ve been hanging around with a lot of naked people lately.) 
          I also had one of those fun moments in SL which happens from time to time. By pure chance, I ran into another friend at the opening.  The Cat from Naked was in attendance buying new pieces for her already extensive collection.  (I didn’t recognize her at first, probably because this was the first time we met while being fully clothed!)  If you have time I recommend dropping in to see part of her collection at Naked West.  I’d recently blogged about Naked. 
          After a few more spins around the gallery, I take my leave of Morgana, Amona, and Harbor, thanking them for their hospitality and time. 
          Aspects of Solitude is an excellent example of how SL can be used to hold an event like an art exhibition.  Virtual worlds and their tools also permit artists to create art and explore possibilities not possible in Real Life (RL).  SL also makes having permanent galleries to exhibit artwork.  My earlier stories about Seductions by Hitomi and the Doors Gallery are give examples of these. 
          I encourage everyone to drop and see Amona’s and Harbor’s work.  Morgana’s presentation and organization make for an enjoyable experience.  It is time well spent and you won’t regret it.  You may even want to acquire a piece or two for your inworld home!  The exhibition runs until June 16, 2013.
          I’d like to thank Morgana, Amona, and Harbor for taking time out from their opening to meet with me.  I wish them well and look forward to seeing more of their work in the future. 
 As always, I’m grateful to all for their kindness and time in stopping to talk with a stranger who was passing through their lives.
           I welcome feedback from readers, please either comment on my blog or e-mail me at webspelunker@gmail.com . 

           If you would like to read about my other adventures in Second Life
please click here.


Photo No. 2  Morgana Nagorski




Photo No. 6  The Cat (Dressed)

Photo No. 7  Solitude

Photo No. 8  Loss of Balance

Photo No. 9 Fear of Flying

Photo No. 10 Reflection of Water
                              

No comments: