Saturday, June 11, 2016

Helping Others in Second Life VII – Will You Help a Child Go to School, Please?





You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.

John Bunyan



           Wandering across Second Life (SL) for the last several years has taught me at least one very important lesson.  (Significant Other cringes.) That lesson is that residents inworld are at least as generous as they are in Real Life (RL), perhaps, even more so.  (Significant Other exhales slowly and looks relieved.)   

          There’s Relay for Life and efforts to help with diabetes.  I continue to see communities come together when one of their own runs into RL issues.    

          A note of warning before we go any further!

          I happen to believe in the general goodness of people whether in SL or in RL.  I don’t think we’re superior to others because we can walk by others less fortunate than ourselves who may be lying in the gutter kidding ourselves that they’ll get out when they feel like pulling themselves up.  Building walls neither hides the problem nor makes it go away. (Significant Other smiles approvingly.)  

          I remember what I once heard in a RL church during a homily (Yes, they let me in but they do keep an eye on me.), “The spare coat in your closet belongs to the poor.”

          And, yes.  If you think this rant of mine is a result of the current political situation in my country right now then you’re correct!  

          Now, that that’s over with…

          My good friends at First UCC in SL are once again sponsoring a RL child from
Children International through their RealReach program.  

          First UCC was originally attracted to Children International because they are not a directly sectarian effort tied to a single denomination.  They had strong ratings through charity tracking sites, and they tied education and skill-building programs into their outreach efforts.  They actively involve the families of the sponsored children in in-country community efforts.  They are not just a drop-off-the-food-and-clothing kind of place.  They have programs right in the neighborhoods they serve, and they interact daily with those they're helping.          

          This year a seventeen year old girl in Mexico has been identified as the latest beneficiary of RealReach.  She lives with her family and attends school.  But, she needs help with her school fees.  She has waited 216 days for a sponsor.  First UCC will pay $32US per month to support her education.  

          Now, here’s where folks like us can help!  

          On Thursday, June 16, 2016, at 6:00PM SLT, First UCC will be holding a dance and
an auction to raise funds to cover one year’s expenses for the child that they’re sponsoring.  The dance has a pool theme!  So grab your swimsuit and join the fun!  (Please no skinny dippers, this is a church function after all!)  

          If you can afford to please come by and make a contribution.

          If you can’t afford to make a contribution then please come by any way and lend your moral support.  

          I plan on being there!  (Although, Significant Other suggests that I offer to stay away if it means more people will contribute.)  

          Hope to see you there!  (Unless someone makes a material donation and I’ll stay away!)  

          I’d like to thank Jer Newstart, Becca Kellstrom, and XMarieX Fairport for their assistance in preparing this story!

          Some of the photos used in this story are from First UCC and used with the permission of their ministry. 

As always, I’m grateful to all inworld for their kindness and time in stopping to talk with a stranger who was passing through their lives.  

My Twitter handle is @webspelunker.  Please feel free to follow me and I’d be happy to follow you.

I can be found on Google+ as webspelunker Ghostraven.

My flickr Photostream is located here.

On Skype I’m webspelunker Ghostraven.

I welcome feedback from readers, please either comment on my blog or e-mail me at webspelunker@gmail.com . 

          If you would like to read about my other adventures in Second Life
please click here

          Open roads and kind fires!  



No comments: