Saturday, December 10, 2016

What’s Our Purpose in Second Life?




The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.

Eleanor Roosevelt





The end of the year is approaching.

Recently, blogging about all the Christmas festivities at Mieville in Second Life (SL) started to get me into the mood along with Real Life (RL) events like Christmas, New Year’s, and all the other things that come with the closing down of another year.  (Some, like getting
ready for filing taxes are real mood killers.) 

Maybe I’m getting old but this time of the year has gotten me thinking about my purpose in SL and which also got me thinking about the rest of you.

(Significant Other groans and asks if this is going to be another one of those heavy, big thought stories.  Significant Other was hoping for one about elves.)

What’s your purpose in SL?

Let’s discuss it!

(Significant Other leaves to watch the DVD of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Apparently, the elves in that one have a high cuteness quotient.)

You probably have one in RL.  (If not then I can recommend some other blogs to you.)

But, SL?  Really?

Actually, believe it or not, most of actually do have a purpose inworld.

How can I say that?

The fact that we keep coming back.

Many rezz in either to leave never to return or come back a few times and then
disappear never to be heard from again. 

We’re what’s left. 

We’ve found something that brings us back. 

            Our purpose in SL!

            But, what’s our purpose you may ask.

            Aye, therein lies the rub!

            (BTW I think paraphrasing Shakespeare, no matter how badly, adds a certain cachet to my blog.  I’d really appreciate some feedback from my three loyal readers on this topic.)

            Now, there won’t be any great thoughts here.

            (Significant Other’s head pops in to say no surprises there.)

            Just what I’ve noticed over the years inworld as I’ve wandered and blogged. 

            People return to SL because they want to…

            Because they enjoy themselves…

            Because they find some value.

            What’s the value?

            Here the reasons vary.

            For some, it’s the companionship.

            For others, it’s the technical challenge.

            For the remainder like myself, it’s the lure of the unknown.

            (If you haven’t encountered the unknown inworld then you obviously have been visiting the wrong places.  Contact me and I’ll get you lost.  Promise!)

            We all have a purpose inworld.

            Even me, the itinerant wanderer.

            Maybe we all don’t realize it but we do. 

            Think about it.

            If you’re a regular inworld then obviously you have a purpose for being there.

            What is it?

            How about telling us and I’ll share it out to my three loyal readers!

            Thanks In advance!

As always, I’m grateful to all inworld for their kindness and time in stopping to talk with a stranger who was passing through their lives. 

My Twitter handle is @webspelunker.  Please feel free to follow me and I’d be happy to follow you.

I can be found on Google+ as webspelunker Ghostraven.

My flickr Photostream is located here.

On Skype I’m webspelunker Ghostraven.

I welcome feedback from readers, please either comment on my blog or e-mail me at webspelunker@gmail.com . 

            If you would like to read about my other adventures in Second Life
please click here.

            Open roads and kind fires!




No comments: