Saturday, May 7, 2016

How Far Do You Travel in Second Life?



A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.
Lao Tzu



         
          During recent travels in Real Life (RL), I began thinking once again about travel in Second Life (SL).   What follows are some random thoughts about travel inworld.        
 
          This particular trip was a long drive for a short vacation with Significant Other.  (Significant Other went willingly across state lines with me.  So any wise guys out there who
are thinking of calling the FBI can forget about it!)

          Along drive like this brings out all the vicissitudes of RL travel.

          There’s the preparation and packing, the actual driving, traffic, the tiring nature of the drive, the expense, getting lost (another story for another time), and the elapsed time.  

          Once at the destination, there’s the arrival, settling in, running around, and then getting ready to do it all in reverse again.  Oh, and did I mention the poor WiFi reception while there?  (Just in case any of you missed me while I was away!) 

          Inworld, we teleport wherever we want to go or we fly.  (Does anyone really walk for any considerable distance in SL?)  There’re no airports and TSA!  (A necessary evil but boy they sure take the fun out of flying!) The biggest advantage is that we can do all this from the comfort of our RL homes!  (Significant Other nods approvingly.) 

          Now, don’t get me wrong!

          I’m not suggesting that we all crawl inside our RL homes and never come out again! 
          RL travel can be fun and rewarding!  (Think of all those frequent flyer miles that we
accumulate but never can use.) But, we can’t always do it.  For personal reasons, I’ve had to cut back on my RL dramatically over the years.  (Significant Other is still nodding approvingly.)

          But, SL has a lot to offer in terms of travel destinations including foreign languages.  (I’ve met more than a few people who have learned another language inworld.  Sadly, not too many of these are my fellow countrymen!)  After over five years of blogging about SL, I’ve seen more than my fair share of places inworld?

          What about you?  

          I have a few questions for my readers (Hopefully, more than the three who put my blog over one million hits recently.):  

          How far do you travel in SL?

          How frequently do you travel to new places in SL?

          Why do you travel to new places in SL?

          Please add your comments to this story on my blog!  My other readers and I would
love to hear your replies!  

          Thanks in advance!  

As always, I’m grateful to all inworld for their kindness and time in stopping to talk with a stranger who was passing through their lives!  

          My Twitter handle is @webspelunker.  Please feel free to follow me and I’d be happy to follow you.

I can be found on Google+ as webspelunker Ghostraven.

My flickr Photostream is located here.

On Skype I’m webspelunker Ghostraven.

I welcome feedback from readers, please either comment on my blog or e-mail me at webspelunker@gmail.com . 

          If you would like to read about my other adventures in Second Life
please click here

          Open roads and kind fires!  


No comments: