Saturday, November 10, 2012

My Second Life Makeover I


My aim is to achieve sustainable change, not just make a cute little makeover. 

Jamie Oliver

          Just recently, I wrote my one hundredth story about my journeys across Second Life (SL) and shortly before that I had celebrated one year as an inworld blogger.  This got me thinking about my inworld appearance.  I need a makeover.  (Significant Other thinks I need one in Real Life (RL) too but that’s another story.)  Right now, the best way to describe me is to say I look like a virtual version of Barbie’s boyfriend Ken.
          To be fair, I’ve had encouragement from SL friends who have subtly (OK, maybe some weren’t so subtle.) suggested that I lose the noob look and get some credibility.  (I also got the sense that I’d be less embarrassing to be around.)  Ilse Runo suggests that people might react more favorably to me if I didn’t look all the time like I’d just stepped out of the SL arrival center. 
          Hints have been made about my hair, my skin, my clothes, and my eyes (which are staying red no matter what).  Admittedly, when I first came to SL, one of my goals was to go “freebie” and not spend any more RL money than I had to.  However, like most things in life, spending a little money can enhance the experience. 
          One SL blogger whose work I read all the time and whom I respect has been chided online for not updating his look for the latest fashions and technologies inworld.  (Sticking to my rule of not being negative I won’t reveal his name.) 

So, it’s not like folks are just ganging up on me.  But I’ve now become sufficiently self-conscious of my inworld looks that I’m ready for that makeover. 
          Where to begin? 

          Fortunately, unlike when I first stumbled into SL, I now have friends who patiently try to advise me and steer me away from my own pitiful choices.  GraciAnne Harte, a successful model inworld, has given me lists of suitable merchants and has taken me shopping.  The amount of choices available is simply overwhelming to me. 
          Ilse actually took the bull by the horns recently and selected a new skin for me which I purchased. (Yes, I actually spent some Linden $’s).  My new skin also comes with some new clothes which, let’s just say, makes me look more contemporary.  She then brought me along to a shop where I could buy some new hair.  This experience taught me a lot that I didn’t know about style and fashion in SL.

Ilse next TP’s me to EMO-tions  an upscale hair shop inworld.  There are a myriad of choices here for men, women, and unisex.  Never being known for quick decisions, I eventually make a selection.  I then learn how to demo a product in SL.  Without Ilse’s help, I’d still be there trying to figure it out.  (Why can’t they just put up a sign that says you purchase the item for 0L$ if you want to try it on?)  We make progress.
          Once I get past trying my new hair on, I buy the hairpiece and wait for it to show up which it eventually does.  Here is where I begin to learn about how one fits one’s self out in SL.  Unlike the freebie stuff I’d just grab ‘n go with previously, I need to have myself fitted or “resized”.  Like when Ilse asks me where my poser is and I go “Huh?”.  Ilse is a very patient woman.  My next problem is that I can’t open my new hairpiece in my home because I’ve somehow bumped up against my prim limits!  (How I did this is beyond me, there’ll be a story on this topic soon, trust me.)

          With Ilse’s help we eventually end up back at EMO-tions where I use their poser to try and put on my hair.  Let’s just say this was a frustrating and unsuccessful process.  Needless to say, I still have a lot to learn.  My first experience with edit mode has makes me appreciate what’s involved in making a good SL appearance.  (Also, have I said Ilse is a very patient woman?) 
          This is my key takeaway this week inworld.  I’ve taken for granted what’s involved with SL style and fashion since I first rezzed in.  My experience with freebies made me say what’s the big deal? My experience with buying and trying to resize a hairpiece has taught me otherwise.  No wonder the fashionistas take a dim view of noobie wannabes like myself.  It takes hard work and time to work at a good appearance inworld.  (It’s only taken me just under two years to come to this realization.)  As with most things in SL, the things worth doing aren’t easy. 

          What’s next?  Well, I have to figure out how to put on my new hairpiece and use edit mode.  Then I’m on for new eyes (red) and some new clothes.  Also, some new tattoos.  (Sorry Ilse!) 
          In case you’re wondering why I’m not revealing any in progress shots or mentioning products, I’m still a work in progress.  The big reveal will happen in a few weeks.  Stay tuned!  Any suggestions or help (like with edit) would be greatly appreciated! 

          I’d like to thank Ilse and Graci for their help and patience in assisting me through my makeover process.  All mistakes and gaffes are solely my responsibility and are probably the result of my not taking the very good, useful, and sane advice I’ve received from both of them. 
           As always, I’m grateful to all for their kindness and time in stopping to talk with a stranger who was passing through their lives.

I welcome feedback from readers, please either comment on my blog or e-mail me at webspelunker@gmail.com . 

     If you would like to read about my other adventures in Second Life
please click here.




Photo No. 3 EMO-tions I

Photo No. 4 EMO-tions II

Photo No. 5 EMO-tions III

4 comments:

kimba said...

Yay! A makeover will do you good. I waited a long time too, and was amazed at the difference in how I looked inworld once I made just a few changes.

Your problems with hair remind me of my problems with feet! I've been going barefoot lately and my feet are molded for shoes :)

webspelunker said...

Kimba,

TY for the encouragement!

TC

web

Mirja Mills said...

good looking guys are always yummi ;)
had to smile while reading, hope you found something nice .. and sorry for the trouble you had :P

xoxo mirja ( EMO-tions)

webspelunker said...

Mirja,

TY for the encouragement!

Not to worry, I'm still learning!

I'm definitely a repeat customer.

TC

web